Cooking the turkey and all the trimmings is a juggling act, especially when catering for a crowd of friends and relatives.
To help you up your game this Christmas, we’ve enlisted the help of Ian King, Director at Meet the Meat Butchery and Fine Food Store, who shares his top tips for roasting the perfect turkey!
- Plan ahead! You need to work backwards from the time you plan to serve your turkey.
- Remove your turkey from the fridge and allow to stand for around an hour. This starts the process of raising its temperature prior to even going in the oven.
- Place the turkey breast side down on a roasting tin and season it with salt and pepper. Most of the marbling is on the back of the Turkey, so this will percolate down through it when cooking and keep it nice and juicy.
- Place a large onion in the cavity of the turkey to enrich the flavour.
- We recommend not wrapping the Turkey in tin foil to allow the skin to crisp.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C for conventional or 160°C if it’s a fan oven (most common nowadays).
- Cooking times help you plan your prep - and it’s also important to always turn the turkey over to breast side up around 40 mins prior to the end of the cooking time. Season again with salt and pepper before popping it back in.
- 4kg – 1hr 55 mins
- 5kg – 2hrs 10 mins
- 6kg – 2hrs 25mins
- 7kg - 2hrs 40mins
- 8kg – 2hrs 55mins
- 9kg – 3hrs 10mins
- Be sensible – ensure the bird is thoroughly cooked, but it should still be juicy!
- Allow the turkey to rest for approximately 30 mins prior to carving
Meet The Meat Butchery and Fine Food Hall is based on Scotia’s past Charleston development, Cove, Aberdeen. In addition to a stunning range of fresh Beef, Pork, Lamb, Poultry and some Game, they offer a huge range of chilled products, grocery products and drinks - perfect for stocking up on Christmas day essentials! They pride themselves on providing the best quality products at an everyday affordable price. They also stock a wide range of ready-to-cook meal solutions, prepared freshly in-store by their skilled team, saving you precious time and just making life easier.
With lots of ‘free from’ options available too - they really do stock something for everyone.